Ph.D., 1973, California-Riverside
409 Morrill Hall
My research interest is regional geologic problems, using structure, sedimentology and stratigraphy to unravel the history of complicated areas. At the present time, I am studying the terranes of the eastern Klamath Mountains of California. We have found Ediacaran fossils in one of the units, thus indicating that part of this terrane is Late Proterozoic in age (ca. 580 Ma). This discovery and identification of Ediacara fossils, combined with age dating, structural analysis, and paleomagnetic studies of other units, have led us to reevaluate published data on lower Paleozoic fossil provinces. The result is a better understanding of the movement and amalgamation of the eastern Klamath terranes relative to North America. In the past I have been involved with oil and gas exploration in northern California and uranium mineralization in the Rocky Mountains, and I maintain an interest in these topics. Other interests include the structure and stratigraphy of northern Maine and Nova Scotia. I have been shipboard scientist on the JOIDES Resolution on Leg 124 to the Japan Sea and Leg 170 off Costa Rica.
I teach evening classes in physical and environmental geology and also teach a summer reading course in Oceanography. I am a director of the non-profit Gregg Ranch Foundation which awards grants to students conducting field work in the Klamath Mountains, and I am also the Nebraska representative to the American Association of Petroleum Geologists House of Delegates.
- Lindsley-Griffin, N., Griffin, J.R., and Farmer, J.D. , 2003, Significance of Ediacaran Cyclomedusids and other Pacific rim biota in the Yreka terrane, eastern Klamath Mountains, California, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 35(4), 14.
- Mankinen, E.A., Lindsley-Griffin, N., and Griffin, J.R. , 2002, Concordant paleolatitudes for Neoproterozoic ophiolitic rocks of the Trinity Complex, Klamath Mountains, California, Journal of Geophysical Research, 107(B10), 2254, doi:10.1029/2001JB001623.
- Lindsley-Griffin, N., Farmer, J.D., and Griffin, J.R., 2002, Ediacaran cyclomedusids from an accreted terrane in the eastern Klamath Mountains, CA, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 34(6), 272.
- Stracher, G.B., Lindsley-Griffin, N., and Griffin, J.R., 1998, A laboratory exercise in mineral thermodynamics, Journal of Geoscience Education, 46, 169-177.
- Silver, E.A., Kimura, G., Blum, P., and the Shipboard Scientific Party, 1997, Sites 1039-1043: Costa Rica margin, in Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Program, Initial Reports, 458 pp..